Monday, July 9, 2007

Victory!

I won this morning's Bay 101 Midnight tournament!

I credit this win almost completely to Crispin helping me tune my game. I played conservative poker for most of it. A key lesson I've learned from my last few failures is that when you get close to the bubble, tighten up. You don't want to spend all that time playing for 11th place. That play took quite a bit of patience, since I was a relatively short stack going into hand-for-hand play. I folded AJo and pocket 5s while we were at 11. Once we were safely in the money, I opened up a tiny bit and managed to get lucky in a couple of key hands and double into the chip lead. Once there, I just waited for good spots to punish the blinds and short stacks. I lost a bunch of match-ups, but for the most part they were situations where the big blind was all-in and it was one more chip to call - you throw down with 27o in those situations.

So all in all, $120 turned into $2990 (minus a $50 toke for the dealers).

Since the last time I won at Bay 101, they seem to have stopped giving away jackets and winner chips. Bummer!

But I got 290 more points towards the Bay 101 open in August. That should put me in fifth place overall at the moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was so tickled for you Nick.