Thursday, May 28, 2009

Why didn't I think of that?

I don't usually do this, but here's a particularly interesting Slashdot Comment. This fellow actually played with PSK31 acoustically - that is, just sending it as sound through open air.

Why didn't I think of that?

At least over short distances, it ought to be a lot easier to receive than it is over noisy HF channels.

It's an idea that brings up a lot of interesting questions. How far could it go? How much noise immunity would it have (could you successfully use it during a noisy cocktail party)? Would it do well under water?

It's all fairly impractical, but interesting, nonetheless.

1 comment:

Martin Levy said...

PSK31 acoustically works for me. All I have to do is place my laptop close to my ICOM's speaker and I get multichannel decode quite fine. OK - so it works better when plugged in. :-) I've not tried transmit yet.

73's
W6LHI/G8LHI
Martin