Sunday, November 8, 2009

And now, the portfolio is complete

Over the course of a poker lifetime, I think all players who play enough can expect to experience every possible way they can get cold-decked. It doesn't take too long for the nut flush to be beat by a full house. With a little more experience, you're bound to wind up getting hit by set-over-set. But the really esoteric ones are much less likely. Specifically, winding up with the sucker straight-flush (that is, a 3 card straight-flush on board, you have the bottom two, your opponent has the top two), or with the under-quads.

I've already experienced losing with a straight-flush. And last night, I got fed the under-quads.

Now, to be fair, I was playing Chinese Poker with Evan. When you get dealt a quarter of the deck, quads are a bit more likely to happen. But this was quad Jacks under quad Queens.

I just don't know. It's a cruel universe that gives me the skill set to understand the game as well as I do, and then continually feed me shit sandwiches.

No comments: